Basic Platform Optimization Tips
There are a bunch of basic platform optimization tips.
- Have a dynamic banner at the top of the page adapted to members by level of activity/tenure in community.
- Feature the latest activity above the fold on the community homepage.
- Reduce the size of the banner/top image to 1/3rd of above-the-fold area.
- Provide an area for people new to the topic (not to the community) to quickly get the best resources and reduce the sense of overwhelm.
- Search box at the top of the page (esp. for customer support).
- Clear contrasts between text and background images/colors.
- Static copy is kept to a minimum and dynamic copy fills most of the page to always provide regulars something new to see.
- Members can quickly scan the latest content for activity they want to participate in and respond to.
- Separate most popular from most recent and show members both simultaneously (in 2 or more separate areas on the homepage).
- Pinned discussions featuring most exciting content at the top.
- Avoid stock photos where possible, use photos of your members.
- Clear calls to action based upon desired contributions from community members.
- Community is linked to from a tab on company homepage (and ideally contributions are featured on the homepage).
- Navigation bar at the top or left-hand side.
- All content is a maximum ‘three clicks deep’.
- Long-scroll showing multiple types of engagement.
- Banner shrinks to fit mobile – with swipe option to remove.
- Static copy removed in favour of a one-screen view of community activity.
- Calls to action significantly enlarged.
- Member can easily tap/swipe to like/share community activity.
p.s. Full list of optimization is part of our benchmarks.