When another community/tool has grown rapidly and now matches you in size, it’s too late.
The momentum is with them and you have no obvious resources to compete.
This is why it’s useful to frequently scan the ecosystem for potential new opportunities (or threats) you can incorporate early into your community.
This might mean periodically engaging a handful of members with questions like:
- What new tools are you using recently?
- Where else are you engaging with other people in this topic?
- What other groups excite you?
- What’s new in your industry at the moment?
- What are you excited about in the sector at the moment?
This doesn’t mean you should overreact to every conceivable threat. But it does mean staying vigilant. Many of the answers might lead nowhere. But a handful can identify value your community should be offering members but isn’t today.