The words and structure of apologising to a community is pretty easy.
- You begin with an unqualified “I’m sorry, I screwed up”
- You admit the harm you caused (if you’re not sure, speak to some members and find out).
- You explain why you did what you did (this isn’t a justification, it’s simply an explanation).
- You identify what you will do to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
- Then you live up to the promise.
The hard part is having the courage to take responsibility for apologising in the first place.