I’d guess about half of our clients have wanted to create a community that provides members with a sense of belonging and purpose.
Yet, in almost every survey we’ve undertaken, making friends/a sense of belonging ranks bottom at what members need.
The hard truth is members probably don’t need another social network in their lives to make friends. In my experience, your members probably need a combination of:
- Unbiased reviews and recommendations.
- A quick, easy, method of getting answers to problems.
- Advice, tutorials, and walk-through guides.
- Inspiration and new ideas.
- Learning new trends.
- A place for self-expression and getting validation from others.
This isn’t a comprehensive list, but it’s a useful place to start.
This doesn’t mean some members won’t feel a sense of belonging, but it’s not what draws them to the community nor what keeps them there.