No-one expects you to be an expert in the topic, there are other people for that.
But you should be passionate about the topic. You should be interested in what’s new and what’s going on in your sector.
This means a few things.
- Subscribe to the relevant magazines and trade press.
- Subscribe to relevant blogs, podcasts, and YouTube channels.
- Identify the top influencers and read/follow their work.
- Read the new books which come out in the sector.
- Actually read the emails and updates your company puts out (you want to know what’s changed in each version of the product for example).
- Skim through the latest Google alerts on relevant terms.
When you know what’s going on, you can start discussions in those areas, ask people for their opinion, and reply to questions with honest opinions.
Better yet, when you subscribe to the topic you might find yourself gradually becoming more passionate about it.