How To Execute On A Community Idea
It’s easy to come up with community ideas, executing on them well is often the hard part.
To execute an idea well, I’ve found it helps to:
- Research/gather data to support the value of the idea.
- Gain widespread support for the idea by sharing and gathering feedback from others.
- Identify numerous examples of the idea in practice.
- Check if the idea is possible with the technology platform you’re using.
- Flesh out every step involved in implementing the idea.
- Cost the idea in time/resources and know when development work can begin (i.e. who will be doing it, what exactly will they be doing etc…?)
- Speak to those who have undertaken the same thing and identified what could go wrong (and how to avoid it).
- Prioritise the idea against the other activities which will be undertaken at the same time.
It’s sadly common to have great ideas fail because they were poorly executed.