Create A Criteria
Don't invite everybody to join your online community at the same time. You wouldn’t invite people with nothing to contribute to a business meeting would you?
So why invite everyone to join your online community regardless of what they have to contribute? You should have a fixed criteria for new members. Criteria for picking new members might include:
- They know you.
- They know existing members of the community.
- They’re very passionate about the field/jobs/interest matter.
- They have a point of view to express.
- They have an important skill or experience to contribute.
- They have a great personality or ambition that suits your community.
- They lead others they can invite to join.
If you don’t have a criteria, you don’t have a focus. Without a focus you’re lost in the sea of inviting random people to join the community. Good luck with that.