Do you know why people make a first contribution
to the community?
It’s for one of the following reasons:
- Anticipated reciprocity. They expect a
response to their actions. If they post a comment, they would like a response.
- Increased recognition. They want to
increase their own profile and satisfy their need for self-validation and
- Efficacy. They want to have an impact
upon their surroundings. We could categorize this under power/influence.
- Attachment. They want to feel part of a special group and associate themselves with the group's identity.
- Communion. They already feel part of the
group offline and want to join in the online fun.
- Need. They have an immediate need for
information. This is primarily in support-based communities.
If you want members to make their first active
contributions to the community, it’s better to focus on a message based upon
the top three (anticipated reciprocity, increased recognition and efficacy).