Restricting Group Creation
Letting anyone create a group is
Your community will soon be filled with lots of empty,
inactive, groups. This will make your community look empty. It will reduce
Many Ning communities have this
Restrict group creation to you, your team, and members who
have earned trust and respect.
For everyone else, provide a criterion for creating a group.
StackExchange does this well with Area51.
To become a group leader you might need the following:
- The names of 30 committed members whom have agreed
to be part of this group.
- A list of 10 interesting discussions for this
- A personal commitment to spend 5 hours a week on
- 3 items of content for this group
- 3 interesting activities/events.
This will deter a lot of people from creating their own
groups. That’s a good thing. If a group leader can’t commit to the above, do
you believe they can grow and sustain a successful group?
Increase the number of
successful groups, not just the number of groups.
On July 1st, Google is shutting Google Reader down.
This means we need to persuade you to take one of two actions.
1) Click here to subscribe by e-mail (best option)
2) Move your Google Readers feed to Feedly (it takes about 2 minutes)