You want to create an in it together feeling.
Five people in an elevator are strangers, until it breaks. Then they’re in it together. They have:
- A common boundary: Elevator walls/doors.
- Insiders: Others in the elevator
- Outsiders: People not trapped in the elevator.
- A common purpose: To get out.
- Shared Experiences: The experience of being trapped.
- Time to interact: Minutes, hours, days…
- Motivation to interact: Talk or be bored/lonely/scared.
- Common emotions: Frustration/boredom/anger/fear
Good experiences work too. Five strangers in a restaurant might spot a celebrity, now they’re in it together. You might bet on a winning horse and feel connected to the five others that also won. You might be on the dance floor with strangers, in it together.
Is your community a list of members and debates? Or is your community in it together.