Christmas is an unmissable opportunity to start some fun, off-topic, conversations which all of your members can participate in. These are the sorts of conversations which allow members to get to know each other beyond the shared self-interest.
Here are a few ideas you can consider.
- What do you want for Christmas? Everyone can talk about what they would want this Christmas. If you're really lucky you might be able to tie a secret-santa into this. You can round the answers up and publish it as a soft news piece to your community.
- What was your best Christmas? Everyone has a favourite christmas and would probably love to talk about it. Try it.
- How does your family celebrate Christmas? This is another one most people will be keen to talk about. Family traditions are fun to discuss.
- Where are you going for Christmas? Let people boast about the amazing places they're going to this Christmas
- Who are you celebrating Christmas with? Some of the answers might surprise you. Might be friends, might be family.
- Will it snow on Christmas day? This is a little mundane, but no doubt everyone will have an opinion on it. Let people make predictions and then compare them afterwards.
- What are your predictions for 2011? This one will probably be the most popular, people can resist making predictions about the future. You can ask people for their predictions, summarize them and maybe, if you're lucky, submit this to a relevant media outlets on behalf of the community.
- Best Christmas dinner tips anyone? Let people share their wisdom on anything from cooking turkeys to getting the stuffing just perfect.
- Any Christmas grinches out there? Not everyone loves christmas. In fact, some of us, are somewhat grouchy when it comes to festive season. Lets find out who…
- Worst christmas gifts you've ever received? The answer is usually socks from Grandmas, but..you never know…you might just be surprised.
Events such as Christmas, New Year, Thanksgiving, Easter and various other birthdays/celebrations gain emotional unity from your members. You can use this to start discussions which will bond your members. It sounds trivial, but these discussions play an important role in uniting your community.