Getting good, fast, answers to questions is the backbone of communities, but if you want people to stick around beyond that you need to offer a lot more than good information.
There are things only a community can offer: This includes:
- Feeling a part of a unique and important group of peers.
- Knowing your peers have your back.
- Feeling respected by others.
- Feeling like you make unique, useful, contributions.
- Enjoying the experiences you share together.
- Knowing your group is widely respected by others
- Knowing your skills have progressed because of the group.
If you’re going to go down the information route. Do it. Really do it. Build the biggest and most incredible database for your topic ever. Do your keyword research. Find out what members really want. And completely dominate that sector. Start discussions about it, solicit contributions on those topics, build something new, different, and remarkable.