Wouldn't it be great if:
- Members wrote up the key points of conferences/events they attended. Those that couldn't attend could still get the same information.
- Members reviewed the products/services they used for the rest of the community.
- Members shared their best advice with everyone else.
- Members sent tips/news posts about the latest, relevant, news in the community.
- Members interviewed each other and posted those interviews for the rest of the community to read.
- Members helped organize mini-events for the rest of the community.
- Members secured promotion for the community in various blogs/media outlets.
Two points here. First, if you're in a community, you can undertake a noble act of community service by regularly doing any of the above.
Second, if you manage a community, give a lot of attention to members that are doing any of the above.