Why not automatically send out a welcome pack to new members (digitally of course). You might include the following:
- Community guidelines. A good list of how to get involved in the community and make a lot of new friends.
- Latest monthly newsletter. Include a monthly newsletter detailing the latest drama. Be sure there is an element of conflict in there. Include links to the latest topical discussions and voting polls.
- Community History. Include a good history of the community, how it started, topical issues and major events in the community’s timeline.
- Profiles of top members. Who are the A-list members? Profile them.
- Etiquette, Language and Running Jokes. What should newcomers be aware of when they join the community? What is the common etiquette, unusual use of language and running jokes?
- Upcoming events. What are the upcoming events members can participate in? Why should they be excited?
- Suggestion box. Include an e-mail address where members can send in their suggestions.
If you run a really small community, you might consider sending out these details in a proper, physical, welcome back.