There are, broadly speaking, five different types of communities.
- Interest. Communities of people who share the same interest or passion.
- Action. Communities of people trying to bring about change.
- Place. Communities of people brought together by geographic boundaries.
- Practice. Communities of people in the same profession or undertake the same activities.
- Circumstance. Communities of people brought together by external events/situations.
About 90% of community projects, especially branded communities, try to develop a community of interest. But a community of interest competes without our mental leisure time. Communities of interest are the hardest type of community to develop.
Why not consider exploring the other four types of community. It might set you apart from the competition and broaden your audience considerably.
Learn more about the different types of online communities in our on-demand course, How to Start an Online Community.