Community Training

About Rich

  • Richard Millington is the founder of FeverBee, a community consultancy and Professional Community Management course. Richard's clients have included the United Nations, The Global Fund, Novartis, Oracle, OECD, BAE Systems, AMD and several youth & entertainment brands. Richard is also the the author of the Online Community Manifesto.

    e-mail: richard@feverbee.com T :+44 (0)20 7792 2469

    Loading

« The Mindset Shift: Providing Information -vs- Stimulating Discussion | Main | 40 Participants in 20 Minutes (Information Overload in Online Communities) »

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8354de10f69e20163024ecf3e970d

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Visitors, Lurkers, And Members:

Comments

Jordi Turró

Hi Richard,

I like the recommendations you give to try to engage lurkers. However, I think that this group is so large and diverse that it would be very beneficial to split it further and define specific actions for each of the subgroups. After all, it appears that active members only account for 1-20% of the total, so it´s critical to fully understand the characteristics and motivations of the other 99-80%. What do you think of the following split?

* Regular lurkers: registered members that visit regularly, read posts and articles but don't actively contribute. They benefit from the community, are satisfied with their status (meaning that they don't feel the need or don't have the time to become active members) and might have a positive impact to the company (and indirectly to the community) by (for example) purchasing more products.

* Lurkers in their way out of the community: registered members that have stopped participating (or have never participated) and that are losing interest in the community (their visits are declining).

* Lurkers in their way into the community: registered members that are new to the community and are getting familiar with subject, the other members or the way people interact.

These 3 groups are very different and the actions that need to be taken to engage them further might also be very different. I also think that a big % of regular lurkers will never become active members. It's important to accept it, value them anyway and take actions to prevent them from losing interest and eventually leaving the community.

Alex Davis

Have you considered social login as a member retention strategy? Allowing members to log using their social network accounts encourages social activity, repeat visits AND provides the company access to their member's social data identifying which social networks they log in through and share the most.

Vera

Hi Rich,
do you know references in literature to the typical (average) rate of active members in a community? Can you identify some of this references, please?
In the light of your post, how should we estimate this value, once you said the number of members of the community should not be the number of registers (and in some way I agree and understand what you are saying)?

The comments to this entry are closed.

Buy Buzzing Communities

Subscribe to FeverBee

  • Get free updates by e-mail

Become a Fan