How many Account Executives can raise their hand up and say, honestly, "my job can't be outsourced"?
I've been busy moving house recently, in my quest to get the internet installed i've spoken to several Indian call centre staff. They've been extremely good, far more pleasant and helpful than the world weary folk at BT. Even the more technically tricky stuff (Mac Codes and installation problems) they've proved capable and adept.
So why can't PR agencies outsource much of the daily account executive work to India?
Looking through my first PR job description I can't see too many roles there which demanded my physical presence.
What can be outsourced?
- Media monitoring
- Distributing press releases
- Working with clients on press release amendments
- Researching key journalists and previous articles
- Pitching and follow up calls?
What can't be outsourced?
- Generating PR ideas/newsworthy story angles
- Meeting with clients
- Pitching for new business
- Arranging press days
What value do you bring to your job that can't be outsourced?